Highlite Forum

Full Version: SOLVED - (LAMPY 20, 1.01) Bug Report: No ethernet connection possible
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Post body:

Type of the Desk: LAMPY 20

Software Version: 1.01

External Display Connected, is a touchscreen?: no

Connected USB Devices: none

Networked Devices: switch and router / directly on router

Description:

After the first start I wanted to check for updates and tried to get the board connected to the internet.
I tried DHCP as  well as manual IP, had it on a unmanaged switch that is going to my router and even on the router directly. No luck.
It always says no connection, check cable (I tried two different cables, both work on my workstation)

Steps to reproduce:

Connect ethernet cable, try to online update software or fixture library

Expected Behavior:

A server connection

Observed Behavior:

No server connection

Additional Information
I can not reproduce this here with my console, and haven't heard of this issue yet. My assumption is that its hardware related.

There is a cable from the Mainboard to the connector at the back of the console, and either the cable or the port on the back has an issue. It may have become loose during transport or so.
I would suggest either returning the console for service, or quickly opening it yourself and checking the internal Ethernet connection.

As for Updates, 1.01 is the most up to date version.

Denis
Thank you for the quick reply!

Is there any warranty issue if I open it up myself?
Well, theoretically there may be if anything else breaks, but this should be an easy fix.
If you feel uncomfortable I'd recommend giving Highlite itself a quick call, but usually we fix some issues the easy way (eg for chimp corrupt USB sticks by sending a new stick to the customer having the customer replace it himself). Its usually quicker and easier then sending the whole console.

I'd first try to check the connectors internally, if this is not succesful I'd replace the internal ethernet cable with a proven working one, if this does not work its probably the port on the back.

There is little chance to break anything; cables should all be long enough - at least they are in the Pre-Series console I have here in my office (I'm not at Highlite HQ). Just be careful with the cables connecting to the top part.
If this resolves the issue, please let me know and I'll move this thread into the Hardware Sub Forum, otherwise we'll continue to work together to figure out what is going wrong and fix it Wink
Cheers mate, I'm quite comfortable opening up the little thing.
I'll be on site again tomorrow and will let you know what I find.
Any findings so far?
Hey sorry, real life came around... My dog was diagnosed with cancer, had a couple of rather stressful days.
But today I got to opening up the board and you were right, the ethernet cable must have gotten lose. Everything is working fine now.
I had to replace a couple of screws, they hardly came out and refused to go in again. Also there were two different lengths of screws, don't know if that is intentional.
The overall build quality is ok, inside everything looks great (I'd be interested to know if there are any software restrictions to hardware modding Wink, but I have some rather ugly gaps on the underside between the chassis and the top cover at the corners. Purely visual and only visible from underneath but it weakens the qualitative impression.

Again thank you much for your help, I'm positively impressed by the speed and quality of support here!
Have a great weekend.
Hi there,

I am so sorry to hear about your dog Sad

Good to know everything is working fine! I'll forward your comments about the build quality and different screws to the proper department, to keep an eye on it.
I'm sure that moving forward these little notes are going to make a big difference, so its always good to gather feedback.

As for Hardware modding it depends a little on your ideas Wink
In general obviously I have to say that we do not endorse hardware modding Wink

Best,
Denis
I'll move this into the Hardware Sub-Forum, as it was not software related Smile
Pages: 1 2