Highlite Forum
More Integration with encoders - Printable Version

+- Highlite Forum (https://forum.highlite.com)
+-- Forum: Infinity Chimp (https://forum.highlite.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Forum: Chimp Feature Requests (https://forum.highlite.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+--- Thread: More Integration with encoders (/showthread.php?tid=936)

More Integration with encoders - gabe - 08-09-2020

Hi, encoders are important part in lighting desk, are extremely useful to trigger any sort of parameter without editing it using too many taps or edit key.
In chimp, encoders are used only in the programmer.
So my request is to get sw ready to listen for encoders also in other window.
For example:
in the magic sheet-> start x,start y, end x,  end y when moving obj;
                           ->zoom, scroll x,scroll y ,scroll Pages while not in edit

In the playback    ->first 4 coloumn of the Table starting from selected one..

And so on...

RE: More Integration with encoders - denishessberger - 10-09-2020

Hi Gabe,

I agree that it would be nice to use the encoders for more than the programmer or the topmost window, however this would be a massive change in code structure for us.

On top of that it may also be confusing for some users - what if in a quad split encoders change all the time between different selected windows? I.e. every time you select a fixture in magic sheet the encoders do something related to the MagicSheet and then you'll have to click on the programmer to set them active for the programmer again. Or if you select a Preset Pool, and then the encoders change to something else.

Also we are still busy with the Multicell update and are introducing a lot of changes into the UI at the moment which will bring massive improvements to the workflow.

So in short - I do not assume this will happen for the Chimp range. Maybe it may happen in the future, more likely if there ever is a new generation of the console that runs on an entirely new OS, which is not scheduled at the moment.

However, I'm adding your request to the Wish-List.

RE: More Integration with encoders - gabe - 11-09-2020

<p>I understood your question, but encoders have a legend on top, so user can watch what &nbsp;Stuff is associated to every encoder.</p><p>Also...while you are editing something(eg magic sheet or qlist) you may be don’t need programmer, so this will non be a problem. Of course this need to rewatch GUI and other stuff, but big things requires big codes😁 .</p><p>Hope other user agree my opinion . Regards gabe</p>

RE: More Integration with encoders - denishessberger - 11-09-2020

That is true, however it will require users to click back into the programmer every time something else in the UI that uses the Encoders had focus.
But as said, this is not a trivial thing to add - we would need to completely rework the focus system and many other things, plus the testing at the end. My overall estimate would be that this is somewhere between one and two months of work for one developer.

As mentioned - its on the FeatureRequest list now - but I have no ETA when or if it'll arrive.